MCBS / ദിവ്യകാരുണ്യ മിഷനറി സമൂഹം

Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament

MCBS

മലയാളം हिंदी தமிழ் ಕನ್ನಡ Italiano Deutsch Swahili Latine

The Birth of MCBS, Our Congregation: In the beginning of the twentieth century itself the Eucharistic-centered re-awakening in the life of the Church, initiated by the Holy Pope Pius X (1902-1914), had its impact on the Syro-Malabar Church. There was also a new missionary awareness and enthusiasm in this Apostolic Church. It was in this historical setting that the Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament (MCBS) was born.

God has been preparing two great men (mahatmas) in the persons of Father Mathew Alakalam and Father Joseph Paredom to take up this new charism in the Church, who in fulfilment of their life-long religious and missionary aspirations outlined a new way of religious life in the Church: the Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament.

 In 1933, the jubilee year of the redemptive sacrifice of our Lord, on Sunday 7th May, the feast of St. Joseph’s patronage, in the mission church at Mallappally, Mar James Kalacherry, bishop of Changanacherry, established the Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament (ദിവ്യകാരുണ്യ മിഷനറി സമൂഹം).

The idea of a new religious community originated in Fr. Mathew Alakalam. His companion, Fr. Joseph Paredom co-operated with him in nurturing it. They, with the blessing and permission of Mar James Kalachery, the late bishop of Changanacherry, had the congregation founded on 7th May 1933 at Mallappally. Before long the residence was shifted to Kaduvakulam, and the Little Flower Ashram there is considered to be the Mother House of the congregation.

The founding Fathers of the congregation have entrusted to its members, as their spiritual heritage, a religious life marked by love and single-minded devotion to the Eucharistic Lord and missionary vitality. Its charism is to live and proclaim the Eucharistic Mystery that is celebrated, to gather the children of God around the altar, to ‘praise God in the midst of His Church, to take part in her sacrifice and to eat the Lord’s supper’ (SC 10) and to uphold the real presence of the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. The members try to obtain this through their dedicated life and various apostolates.

The congregation has, at present, 412 professed members. There are 37 novices and 172 minor seminarians. It has 90 Houses and Institutions in various dioceses in and outside India.

MCBS ON THE ROAD TO GROWTH

  • In 1978 , the district of Shimoga in Karnataka, under the jurisdiction of Mananthavady diocese, was entrusted to MCBS for pastoral care and evangelization. 

  • In 1989 the missionary activities of the congregation were extended to Rajasthan. The district of Sirohi is entrusted to the congregation for evangelization. 

  • The ‘Rule of Life’ of the congregation, revised and renewed after a careful study of the charism, nature, spirit, tradition and founders, and according to the directives given by the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, was promulgated on 25th May 1989. The Holy See approved the Rule of Life for an experimental period of seven years and raised the congregation to pontifical Status on 2nd December 1989.

  • In 1992 the districts of Satara and Solapur in Maharashtra , under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Kalyan, were entrusted to the congregation for pastoral care and evangelization. 

  • On 4th May 1995 the congregation was divided into two regions, namely MCBS Emmaus Region and MCBS Zion Region.

  • Jeevalaya, MCBS’ Major Seminary, was inaugurated on 3rd July 1996.

  • Shencottai Mission in South Tamil Nadu under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Tukala was started in the year 1996 for the pastoral care of the poor and afflicted.

  • On 2nd December 1996 the two regions were raised to the status of provinces, namely, MCBS Emmaus Province and MCBS Zion Province .

  • On 18th December 1996 Thomas Elavanal, then Superior General, was nominated the first bishop from the Congregation. Mar Thomas Elavanal was consecrated Bishop of Kalyan on 8th February 1997.

  • On 21st May 1997 the first Provincial synaxis of both provinces was held to elect the Provincial Superiors and their teams.

  • On 28th October 1998 the Holy See gave definite approbation to the Constitution and Directory of the MCBS.

  • ‘SANATHANA’ MCBS Theologate, Thamarassery was inaugurated on June 07, 2004.

  • On 7th May 2007 , the Platinum Jubilee of the Congregation was inaugurated at Mother House, Kolladu, Kottayam.

  • On 28th July 2007 , Adilabad Mission , the first missionary field in Andrapradesh was started in the feast of Blessed Alphonsa

  • On 29th August, Fr. Joseph Arumachadath, the then Vice Rector of Sanathana MCBS Theologate, Thamarassery was nominated as the first bishop of the Bhadravati Diocese, Karnataka.

  • 2007 September 08 – Missionaries to Switzerland .

  • On 25th October 2007 – Consecration of Mar Joseph Arumachadath and the inauguration of the Bhadravati Diocese, Karnataka

  • On 07th May 2008 – Platinum Jubilee celebrations of the Congregation came to its end at MCBS Generalate, Aluva.

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,610 other followers

%d bloggers like this: